No prior experience is needed and the class will guide you through:
- Choosing steels that will produce a good pattern.
- Making up a billet (stacked layers of alternating types of steel forge welded together).
- Use of flux when forge welding damascus steel by hand.
- Welding in a reducing atmosphere in a gas forge, so called “bare back welding.”
- Use of the power hammer and power press. I have a very well equipped forge with numerous power hammers and presses.
- Pattern manipulation by twisting, and surface manipulations (grinding or forging into the bar to expose layers).
- Etching to reveal the pattern.
Damascus steel is my passion and I am very happy to be offering this course, as it is one of those things that is much easier to do when someone who knows how to do it shows you. A couple of days of tuition can literally save you months of wasted time!
Over the 3 days we will make random pattern and twisted pattern. If you wish, these patterns can be combined to make a composite 3 bar billet with alternating twists on the spins and random pattern on the edge. Alternatively you can keep the material separate and make knives or other items from it.
I do not believe in welding up scrap when teaching people damascus. During this course we will not make finished knives. We make damascus billets (damascus material) and manipulate them and size them for you to use on subsequent projects or classes.
If you wish to make a knife from your damascus, the 3 Day Kitchen knife course would be perfect to forge your damascus billets into finished kitchen knives.
The course day runs from 9am - 5pm.
Safety equipment is provided for all the classes but please ensure that you have non-flamable clothing and sturdy shoes (preferably leather). No shell suits, fleeces or synthetic flammable materials (cotton and wool are perfect).
Please read the terms & conditions before booking a course.
Some suggestions for local accommodation.
Further information may be found on the Courses FAQ.
Please note, the minimum age to attend a class on your own is 18.