No prior experience is needed and the class will guide you through:
- Forge safety
- Using a gas forge
- Forming and forge welding a bowtie construction axe
- Forging an axe from EN 9steel using the punch and drift method
- Profile grinding the axe
- Heat treating , normalising, hardening, tempering
- Blade finishing sharpening and edge testing
- Fitting a tomahawk handle
- Fitting a wedged handle
This 3 day class will take you through the process of making two hand axes, one made by the forge welded “bow tie” method of construction where a steel edge is forge welded into a softer iron body and then folded around on itself to form an eye. We will also make a punched and drifted axe from carbon steel.
At the end of the class you will go away with 2 axes with ash/hickory handles.